Around the World with the #DataWarrior
Yup I traveled a lot in 2019. Mostly in my role as Chief Technical Evangelist for Snowflake, but some for family vacations (yes I do take those!).
Inspired by good friend Jeff Smith, here is my travel report based on Google location services. Surprisingly accurate (should I be concerned?).
While traveling this much can be taxing (especially on my family), it is a blessing to be able to see all these wonderful places and meet lots of wonderful people as part of my job at Snowflake, even if it means being a #RoadWarrior.
By The Numbers
- 174 miles on foot!
- There are more miles when I did not have my phone
- This includes a great hike with my family all the way from Waikiki Beach to the top of Diamond Head and then back.
- 2 miles by bike – I know that was in Berlin using an Uber Bike (a very neat and useful concept)
- 14,450 miles by mass transit (cars, trains)
- And then a lot more air miles!
Wow. That adds up to 7 times around the world for an estimated 173,475 miles! Yikes.
In 2019 I got to explore both countries and cities I had never been to before, as well as some fo my old favorites.
In the “never been here before” category:
- Stockholm, Sweden – first time ever to Sweden! Even in January it was quite fun with lots of sites to see including the Viking Museum.
- Berlin, Germany
- Dublin, Ireland – actually got to go there twice!
- Madrid, Spain
- Lisbon, Portugal – LOVED the seafood!
- Hannover, Germany
- Stuttgart, Germany
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Australia & New Zealand – I had two separate 2 week trips down under and got to see quite a bit, plus catch up with some old friends I had not seen in over 20 years.
- Sydney (2x)
- Melbourne (2x)
- Auckland (2x)
- Cleveland, Ohio – yup, never been there before. Managed a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (with Jeff Smith).
- Costa Mesa, California
I did manage to also visit places in the US where I have bene before like Dallas, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Santa Monica, Philadelphia, Honolulu (vacation), and Stowe (Vermont). I had LOTS of trips to San Francisco and San Mateo (where Snowflake HQ is located).
Outside the US, I got the pleasure of return visits to Rome (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE), Milan, London (2x), Amsterdam (2x), Utrecht (2x), Helsinki (Finland), and at the end of the year, a trip to snowy Montreal in Canada.
Where to next?
So where will I go in 2020? Stay tuned. The adventure continues…
Happy New Year 2020!
The Data (and Road) Warrior
P.S. One place I will be for sure in June is the Aria Hotel in Las Vegas where we will be hosting the 2nd Annual Snowflake Summit. We do expect it to SELL OUT again this year. Super Early Bird registration closes January 30th, so get your registration in today!